Shark Deterrent Rebate
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When will the rebate be available?
The rebate program has been in place since Friday 26 May 2017 for the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and was extended to include the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf (Bundle) on Friday 25 May 2018.
2. Who is eligible to claim the rebate?
The Shark Deterrent Rebate is available to Western Australian residents. Proof of WA residence must be sighted and recorded by the retailer at the time of purchase. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. There is a limit of one rebate per person per device. That is, if a person has received the $200 rebate for the Shark Shield FREEDOM7TM, they will also be eligible to receive the $200 rebate for the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf (Bundle).
3. What evidence should I provide as proof of WA residence?
Proof of WA residence may include a current:
- Western Australian driver’s licence or learner’s permit.
- Western Australian recreational fishing licence.
- Medicare card in combination with a utility bill e.g. telephone, gas, electricity, water (not more than 3 months old).
- Persons under the age of 18 may also use:
- Student ID card.
- A combination of their parent/guardian driver’s licence and Medicare card (which includes reference to their name).
4. How do I claim the rebate?
Visit a registered retailer to purchase an approved shark deterrent device. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. The rebate is limited to the first 3,000 eligible devices. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
5. Can an individual under the age of 18 apply for the rebate?
Yes. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
6. What is an approved personal shark deterrent device?
An approved personal shark deterrent device is one which has been independently tested and approved by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
Rebates will be available when purchasing a Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and/or an Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf (Bundle). Additional devices may be added to the scheme once tested, verified and approved by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
While no product offers 100% guarantee of protection, water-users are encouraged to take personal responsibility for their actions, including checking all available information before entering the water including Surf Life Saving WA twitter feed (@SLSWA) and the Shark Activity Map.
7. Why is the rebate only available for the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf (Bundle)?
The Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf (Bundle) are currently the only devices independently tested and scientifically proven to significantly reduce the risk. Other devices may be considered in the future.
While no product offers 100% guarantee of protection from any species of shark, the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf are currently considered to be the most effective personal shark deterrent devices available.
It is recommended that those interested in purchasing the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and/or the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf, review the specifications carefully to ensure it is suitable for their desired use. More information can be found at www.sharkshield.com.
The University of Western Australia published their findings of the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM which can be viewed at the Public Library of Science (PLOS)
Flinders University, South Australia published a report after testing five shark deterrents developed for surfers. The report includes information of the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ Surf. The report can be viewed here.
8. Will other personal shark deterrent products be considered for the rebate in the future?
Yes. Companies who have had their products independently tested and scientifically verified are encouraged to contact the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
9. How long will the rebate be available for?
The trial subsidy, which began on 26 May 2017, was originally for 1,000 devices, but given the popularity of the program, funding was doubled on 26 November 2017 to allow for an additional 1,000 rebates.
As of Friday 25 May 2018, the Government has provided an additional $200,000 for a further 1,000 rebates, taking the total number of available rebates to 3,000.