Shark Deterrent Rebate
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible to claim the rebate?
The Shark Deterrent Rebate is available to Western Australian residents. Proof of WA residence must be sighted and recorded by the retailer at the time of purchase. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. There is a limit of one rebate per person per device. That is, if a person has received the $200 rebate for the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM, they will also be eligible to receive the $200 rebate for the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM (Bundle).
2. What evidence should I provide as proof of WA residence?
Proof of WA residence may include a current:
- Western Australian driver’s licence or learner’s permit.
- Western Australian recreational fishing licence.
- Medicare card in combination with a utility bill e.g. telephone, gas, electricity, water (not more than 3 months old).
- Persons under the age of 18 may also use:
- Student ID card.
- A combination of their parent/guardian driver’s licence and Medicare card (which includes reference to their name).
3. How do I claim the rebate?
Visit a registered retailer to purchase a scientifically proven and approved shark deterrent device. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
4. Can an individual under the age of 18 apply for the rebate?
Yes. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
5. What is an approved personal shark deterrent device?
An approved personal shark deterrent device is one which has been independently scientifically tested and proven to be effective at reducing the likelihood of an interaction with a white shark. Personal shark deterrent devices that meet this criteria can be approved by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
Rebates will be available when purchasing an Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM and/or an Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM (Bundle). Additional devices may be added to the scheme once scientifically tested, verified and approved by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
While no product offers 100% guarantee of protection, water-users are encouraged to use their Sea Sense when heading to the beach. This includes checking all available information before entering the water published on the Surf Life Saving WA twitter feed (@SLSWA), SharkSmart WA app and the Shark Activity Map.
6. Why is the rebate only available for the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM and the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM (Bundle)?
The Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM and the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM (Bundle), powered by Shark Shield Technology, are currently the only devices independently tested and scientifically proven to significantly reduce the risk. Other devices may be considered in the future.
While no product offers 100% guarantee of protection from any species of shark, the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM and Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM are currently considered to be the most effective personal shark deterrent devices available.
It is recommended that those interested in purchasing the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM and/or the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM, review the specifications carefully to ensure it is suitable for their desired use. More information can be found at https://ocean-guardian.com/.
The University of Western Australia published its findings of the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM 7TM (previoulsy known as the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM), which can be viewed at the Public Library of Science (PLOS).
Flinders University, South Australia published a report after testing five shark deterrents developed for surfers. The report includes information of the Ocean Guardian FREEDOM+ SurfTM. The report can be viewed here.
7. Will other personal shark deterrent products be considered for the rebate in the future?
Yes. Companies who have had their products independently tested and scientifically verified are encouraged to contact the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.