News & Alerts
Shark WARNING for Yallingup in the City of Busselton30 April 2023
A shark WARNING has been issued for Yallingup in the City of Busselton after a reported shark incident.
- The shark incident was reported by a member of the public at approximately 11:20am on Sunday 30 April 2023.
- A male swimmer received minor injuries after being bitten by a 1m unknown species of shark at approximately 11:00am on Saturday 29 April 2023.
- The shark incident occurred as the swimmer was in the shallows, approximately 15m offshore from the beach adjacent to BSN774 Yallingup BEN Sign.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Yallingup area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD Fisheries officers from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) are monitoring the situation.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – www.twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.