News and Alerts
Shark WARNING for Thistle Cove, Cape Le Grand National Park near Esperance22 March 2021
A shark WARNING has been issued for Thistle Cove in Cape Le Grand National Park near Esperance after an interaction with a shark was reported at 12:30pm on the 22nd March 2021.
- At 4pm on Saturday the 20th March 2021 a spearfisherman’s catch bag containing two fish was damaged by a reported 2.5 metre white shark 20 metres from shore at Thistle Cove, Cape Le Grand National Park near Esperance.
- The catch bag was connected to a float line 15 metres away from the spearfisherman at the time of the incident.
- The spearfisherman was reported to be cleaning fish in the water with fish offal present when the shark approached.
- The shark remained in the area for a short time after the incident.
- This public report was made to Water Police at 12:30pm on Monday 22nd March 2021.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Thistle Cove area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Be aware that attractants in the water, such as fish offal, may increase the risk of shark activity.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is working with local authorities to monitor the situation.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.