News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Possession Point near Albany28 July 2016
A shark WARNING has been issued for Possession Point near Albany, after an interaction with a shark 200metres offshore was reported early this afternoon.
- A kayaker has reported his kayak being bumped by a large shark, 200metres offshore, at Possession Point Albany. The shark is then reported to have circled the kayak.
- The shark is reported to be approximately 4metres in length and of an unknown species.
- The Department of Fisheries is investigating.
- Due to the location, it is not possible to close beaches or access points to that area, so water users should take additional caution in the area.
What to do:
- Water users should take additional caution in the Possession Point area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
A Department of Fisheries boat is on-site and will remain on the water for the remainder of today, monitoring the situation.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.