News & Alerts
Shark WARNING for Perth Metropolitan Waters01 September 2023
A shark WARNING has been issued for Perth metropolitan waters after an increased number of tagged shark detections.
- Two white sharks have been detected multiple times in Perth metropolitan waters over the past three days.
- It is possible that the frequency and duration of the recent tagged shark detections may increase the likelihood of encountering a shark in this area.
- It is not uncommon for sharks to be present off the coast throughout the year.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in Perth metropolitan waters.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD), Local Government Rangers and Surf Life Saving WA will continue to monitor the situation. To keep people safe, beaches may be closed.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – www.twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.