News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Mauds Point, near Coral Bay27 February 2017
A shark WARNING has been issued for Mauds Point, near Coral Bay after an interaction with a shark was reported. The incident occurred on Saturday 25 February and was reported to authorities on Monday 27 February.
- A woman has received minor injuries to her hand after being bitten by a 1.5m bull shark while snorkelling approximately 20m offshore, at Mauds Point, near Coral Bay.
- The incident occurred around 10am on Saturday 25 February, and was reported to authorities on Monday 27 February
- The woman swam ashore, and was treated for minor injuries at the local nursing station at approximately 11am.
What to do:
- Take additional caution if you are swimming, snorkelling or diving at Mauds Point, in the Coral Bay area.
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Department of Parks and Wildlife.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Department of Fisheries and Department of Parks and Wildlife will monitor reports in the area.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.