News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Injidup Beach near Yallingup05 September 2016
A shark WARNING has been issued for Yallingup, after an interaction with a shark was reported late this afternoon at Injidup Beach.
- To reduce the threat the Department of Parks and Wildlife have erected signage advising of recent shark activity.
- The beach is not closed at this stage.
- A community member reported that a shark (species unknown) had an interaction with a surfer knocking him off his surfboard. The surfer was assisted ashore and has reportedly not suffered any injury.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Yallingup area, including Injidup Beach.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Department of Fisheries officers will conduct patrols of the area in the morning and continue to monitor the situation.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.