News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Injidup Beach, near Yallingup29 April 2019
A shark WARNING has been issued for Injidup Beach, adjacent to Injidup Car Park near the town of Yallingup, after an interaction with a shark and a surfer was reported at 6.00pm today.
- A local surfer reported being knocked off his board by an unknown species of shark at 5.15pm today, whilst paddling for a wave. He returned to shore uninjured.
- To reduce the threat to people, DPIRD would like to remind the public that a nearby Reg 44 beach closure issued by DBCA remains in place due to a whale carcass.
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures.
- Take additional caution in the Injidup area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD reminds water users that the location of this incident is adjacent to an area that is under a DBCA Regulation 44 closure. Please see the current alert posted on SharkSmart: https://www.sharksmart.com.au/news/shark-advice-for-canal-rocks-near/
DBCA officers will be enforcing the beach closure to ensure no one enters the closed waters surrounding the whale carcass.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.