News and Alerts
Shark WARNING for Hamersley Pool and Toms Surf Break, North Beach.04 October 2020
A shark WARNING has been issued for Hamersley Pool and Toms Surf Break, in North Beach after a surfer had an interaction with what is believed to be a 1.5 metre bronze whaler shark which was reported to Water Police at 11:37am.
- At 10:45am surfer reported he was pulled from his board when a 1.5 metre bronze whaler shark grabbed his leg rope while surfing at Toms Surf break, Hamersley Pool North Beach.
- The surfer sustained no injuries, but the leg rope was damaged.
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Take additional caution in the Hamersley Pool Beach area.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries Officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development have attended the location and are conducting patrols to assess the situation and notify beach goers.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.