News and Alerts
Shark WARNING for Floreat Beach to Cottesloe Beach03 November 2020
A shark WARNING has been issued from Floreat Beach to Cottesloe Beach after an increased number of tagged shark detections.
- A tagged white shark has been detected multiple times between the 30th October 2020 and 3rd November 2020.
- It is possible that the frequency and duration of the recent detections may increase the likelihood of encountering a shark in this area.
What to do:
- Take additional caution from Floreat Beach to Cottesloe Beach.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries Officers from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD), Local Government Rangers and Surf Life Saving WA will continue to monitor the situation. To keep people safe, beaches may be closed.
It is not uncommon for sharks to be present off the coast throughout the year.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.