News & Alerts
Shark WARNING for Five Finger Reef, Coral Bay18 July 2023
A shark WARNING has been issued for Five Finger Reef, Coral Bay in the Shire of Carnarvon after a reported shark interaction.
- The shark interaction was reported by a member of the public at approximately 8:30am on Tuesday 18 July 2023.
- A reported 3.5m unknown species shark interacted with a diver while spearfishing at approximately 3:30pm on Sunday 16 July 2023.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Five Finger Reef, Coral Bay area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD), along with staff from other agencies are monitoring the situation.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.