News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Falcon Bay near Mandurah24 February 2017
A shark WARNING has been issued for Falcon Bay Mandurah after a possible interaction with a shark was reported this morning.
- A surfer has reported his board was struck by a marine creature, believed to be a 2m unknown species shark. He was not bitten in the incident, and paddled to shore.
- The surfer has advised there is no visible damage to the surf board.
- The incident occurred approximately 30 metres off shore 200 metres North of Falcon Bay beach near Rowena Street
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Take additional caution in the Falcon Bay area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Department of Fisheries staff have spoken to the surfer. As there is no visible damage to the board for Department scientists to assess, the Department is unable to provide any further assessment on likely size or species involved in the incident.
Fisheries officers will continue to monitor the situation and assess any reported sightings over the next few days.