News & Alerts
Shark WARNING for Cosies Surf Break in City of Mandurah22 December 2022
A shark WARNING has been issued for Cosies Surf Break in Falcon in the City of Mandurah after a reported shark interaction.
- The shark interaction was reported by a member of the public at approximately 7.00am 22 December 2022.
- A reported 2m unknown species shark bumped a surfer’s board. This has been confirmed by Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development officers.
- To reduce the potential threat to people, all beaches within 1km of Falcon Bay were closed shortly after the interaction. Local Government Rangers have reassessed the situation and all beaches are now open.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Falcon area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is working with local authorities to coordinate responses.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – www.twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.