News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark WARNING for Cockburn Sound26 September 2018
A shark WARNING has been issued for Cockburn Sound after the report of an interaction with a shark near Carnac Island.
A member of the public has reported that;
- In the early hours of yesterday evening, while fishing with another person from his boat, they had an interaction with a white shark.
- The shark had exited the water and collided with their recreational vessel, causing minor damage.
- The were no further sightings of the shark following the interaction.
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Take additional caution in the Cockburn Sound area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will continue to monitor the situation and provide further advice if required.
Fishers in the Cockburn Sound area are recommended to take additional caution when fishing from small vessels or kayaks.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.