News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark INCIDENT at South Point near Gracetown06 January 2018
A surfer has been injured in a shark incident at South Point, Gracetown, in the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.
- A man received injuries after being bitten by an unconfirmed species of shark, while surfing at South Point at approximately 18:00 hrs on Friday 5 January 2018.
- It’s suspected the shark may have been a small whaler or a wobbegong.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Gracetown area.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development are monitoring the situation.
Shire of Augusta Margaret River rangers are placing warning signs in the area.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.