News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for White Point Reef area near Dongara06 September 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a whale carcass being reported 500 metres offshore and 350 metres south east of White Point Reef.
- The whale carcass was reported by a member of the public at 3.20pm.
- It is possible the decomposing carcass will act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to the area.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution in this area.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the area south of White Point Reef.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, and Parks and Wildlife Service officers are monitoring the situation.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.