News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Wedge Island, north of Lancelin03 July 2019
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a three (3) metre humpback calf whale carcass being reported ashore at Wedge Island, north of Lancelin.
- The whale carcass was reported by Water Police at 12.09pm.
- It is possible the whale carcass will act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the waters that are adjacent to the beach at the north eastern end of Wedge Island.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Parks and Wildlife Service officers are monitoring the situation and providing advice to relevant authorities.
Bring your Sea Sense to the beach. Stay informed by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.