News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for the WA Shark Notification System20 July 2015
UPDATE AT 17:41 hours 27/07/2015: Fisheries advise services to Shark Monitoring Network receivers located at Scarborough and 2.5km off Mullaloo have resumed as normal..
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a partial outage in the shark notification system.
• Two Shark Monitoring Network receivers – one located at Scarborough and the second located 2.5kms off Mullalloo – are currently offline.
• All other receivers in the network remain fully operational.
What to do:
• Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
• Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
• If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
The Department will be working to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.