News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the WA Shark Monitoring Network04 September 2020
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users, due to scheduled maintenance affecting the Shark Monitoring Network.
- The Shark Monitoring Network may experience possible service disruptions between 6pm, Saturday 5 September to 6am, Sunday 6 September.
- Scheduled maintenance by an external service provider may delay the delivery of tagged shark detection notifications generated by the Shark Monitoring Network during the scheduled maintenance time.
- The scheduled maintenance is affecting all 32 satellite-linked receivers in the Shark Monitoring Network.
- Reported shark sightings are not affected by this maintenance and will be published as normal through the Shark Notification System.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the schedule maintenance affecting tagged shark detections; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.