News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Floreat Beach and Warnbro Sound03 December 2018
Update on 3 December 2018 at 2:58pm
Services to the Shark Monitoring Network satellite-linked receiver at Warnbro Sound has been achieved.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has restored the Shark Monitoring Network to full operational status.
Update on 22 November 2018 at 2:15pm
Services to the Shark Monitoring Network satellite-linked receiver at Floreat Beach have resumed as normal.
The Warnbro Sound receiver remains offline.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development are working to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Alert issued on 19 November 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Floreat Beach and Warnbro Sound due to partial outages in the shark notification system.
- The shark receiver at Floreat Beach is failing to respond to shark detections.
- The shark receiver at Warnbro is failing to respond to shark detections.
- Testing of the system earlier today revealed the receiver was failing to respond to detections at both of these locations.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will be working to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.