News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the WA Shark Notification System31 May 2018
Update 1 June, 8:30am
The shark notification system outage, related to tagged shark detections, has been restored and is fully operational. Detection information has been reviewed during the time of the outage and no detections occurred during this period.
The system for reporting and publishing shark sighting reports was not affected during the outage.
If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600
Keep informed of the latest reported sightings and tagged shark detection information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
Alert issued on 31 May:
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a temporary outage of the shark notification system, affecting the notification of tagged shark detections.
Please note the system for reporting and publishing shark sighting reports is not affected. Report shark sightings to Water Police on 9442 8600.
- Due to a system outage, tagged shark detections from the Shark Monitoring Network are currently offline.
- The outage affects ALL shark monitoring receivers in Perth metro, South West, Albany and Esperance.
- The sightings element of the notification system remains fully operational, so water users can still and are urged to call any shark sightings into Water Police on 9442 8600 and they will be posted as usual.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage.
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is working with the satellite service provider, to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.