News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for the WA Shark Notification System on 21 August21 August 2015
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a partial outage in the shark notification system.
- Two Shark Monitoring Network receivers are currently offline and a third has limited functionality.
- The offline receivers are at Garden Island and Ellen Cove (Albany).
- The receiver with limited functionality is at Mullaloo South
- Extra caution is advised for water uses in the affected locations.
- All other receivers in the network remain operational.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
The Department of Fisheries will be working to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible. The timing of the work on the Shark Monitoring Network receivers is weather-dependent and likely to begin early next week.