News & Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the Shark Warning System at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe31 August 2022
Update on 31 August at 2:15pm
Services have been restored to the Shark Warning System (tower) at Cove Surf Break in the Town of Cottesloe.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter.
If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600.
Alert issued on 30 August
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Cottesloe water users, due to a technical fault affecting the shark warning system at Cove Surf Break in the Town of Cottesloe.
- The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) advise that the shark warning system located at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe is experiencing a technical fault and is currently offline.
- Restoration of the tower will require a maintenance crew to conduct an assessment and undertake repair work, which will be completed as soon as possible.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Cottesloe area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD is working with the Town of Cottesloe to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – www.twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.