News & Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the Shark Warning System at Kelp Beds Beach near Esperance06 February 2024
Update on 6 February 2024 at 2:40pm
Services have been restored to the land-based Shark Warning System (tower) at Kelp Beds Beach.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter.
If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600.
Alert issued on 6 February 2024
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Esperance water users, due to a technical fault affecting the land-based shark warning system (tower) at Kelp Beds Beach.
- The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) advise that the land-based shark warning system (tower) located at Kelp Beds Beach, Esperance is experiencing a technical fault and is currently offline.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Kelp Beds area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD is working with contractors to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.