News & Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the Shark Warning System at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe.11 December 2023
Update on 11 December at 2:30 pm
Services have been restored to the land-based Shark Warning System (tower) at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter.
If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600.
Alert issued on 9 December
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Cottesloe water users, due to a technical fault affecting the land-based shark warning system (tower) at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe.
- The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) advise that the land-based shark warning system (tower) located at Cove Surf Break, Cottesloe is experiencing a technical fault and is currently offline.
- This is the only tower out of service in the Cottesloe area. The tower located at North Cottesloe Beach has not been affected.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Cove Surf Break, area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD is working with Town of Cottesloe to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.