News & Alerts
Shark ADVICE for the Shark Warning System at Kelp Beds, near Esperance10 July 2023
Update on 10 July at 12:20pm
Services have been restored to the land-based Shark Warning System (tower) at Kelp Beds, near Esperance.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter.
If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600.
Alert issued on 2 July
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Esperance water users, due to a technical fault affecting the land-based shark warning system at Kelp Beds.
- The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) advise that the land-based shark warning system located at Kelp Beds, Esperance is experiencing a technical fault and is currently offline.
- Restoration of the tower will require a maintenance crew to conduct onsite inspection and repair works.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Kelp Beds, Esperance area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD is working with the Shire of Esperance to restore the system to full operational status as soon as possible.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – www.twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.