News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Southside near Prevelly, Margaret River23 December 2019
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a shark carcass being reported at Southside surf break, south of Main Break, near Margaret River.
- The shark carcass was reported by a member of the public at 9.55am.
- It is possible the decomposing carcass may act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Southside and Main surf break area.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers are monitoring the situation and providing advice to relevant authorities.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.