News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for SMN receivers at Busselton and Floreat23 August 2016
The partial outage in the shark notification system has been restored, with repairs now complete for the Department of Fisheries Shark Monitoring Network receivers at Busselton and Floreat.
- Tagged shark detections from the Shark Monitoring Network receivers at Busselton and Floreat have been fully restored today.
- Favourable weather conditions in the past two days have allowed departmental staff to safely conduct the infield operations to be able to bring them back online.
- Work had commenced on the Floreat receiver on 20 August, with a new generation VR4G receiver being placed onsite, but weather conditions deteriorated and staff were unable to safely complete the final steps to enable the receiver to be brought online.
What to do:
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600.
- All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified that the Busselton and Floreat SMN receivers are fully operational again; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.