News & Alerts
Shark ADVICE for Shark Warning Systems near Gracetown.25 June 2021
A shark ADVICE has been issued for water users in the Gracetown area, due to the removal five Shark Warning Systems (towers) following the conclusion of the SMART drumline trial.
- At the commencement of the SMART Drumline trial nine Shark Warning Systems (towers) consisting of lights sirens and audio broadcasts were installed adjacent to surf breaks in the trial area.
- Following the conclusion of the trial the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) advise, five of the Shark Warning Systems (towers) have been removed from the following surfing spots: Ellensbrook, The Womb, Cobblestones, Guillotines and Gallows.
- The Shark Warning Systems (towers) will also be removed from the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart WA app when the next system maintenance is conducted.
- Shark Warning Systems (towers) at South Point, North Point, Lefthanders Surfing Spot and Lefthanders Surfing Spot Carpark, will remain operational due to their close proximity to Shark Monitoring Network receivers. In the event of a tagged shark detection at a nearby receiver or following a reported shark sighting in the area the closest Shark Warning System (tower) will be activated.
What to do:
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.