News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Rottnest Island03 January 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a number of shark sightings and detections near Rottnest Island.
- There have been nine reports of shark sightings and three shark detections on the Shark Monitoring Network around Rottnest Island since 29 December 2017.
- Some reported sightings were of multiple sharks and in total 15 sharks have been reported. These include 1 x Whaler, 6 x Hammerheads and 1 x Tiger Shark. The other seven sharks were not identified.
- The three detections on the Shark Monitoring Network were of Tiger Sharks.
- To reduce the risk to people, where required beaches were closed.
What to do:
- Adhere to beach closures and warning signs placed at beach access points where they have been closed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is working with the Rottnest Island Authority to monitor and report shark sightings and detections in the area and Rottnest Island Authority rangers are managing beach closures.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.