News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Lefroy Bay, Ningaloo Marine Park20 July 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a whale carcass being reported on the beach in Lefroy Bay, Ningaloo Marine Park.
- The whale carcass was reported to Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions at 1pm today.
- The carcass is attracting sharks close into shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution until the whale carcass is removed.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the area of Lefroy Bay.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions Rangers.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions are monitoring the situation and may implement beach restrictions in this area.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.