News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for Horrocks in the Shire of Northampton03 September 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a residue from a removed whale carcass at Whiting Pool in Horrocks, in the Shire of Northampton.
- Shire of Northampton rangers have resolved the whale stranding incident at Whiting Pool, Horrocks, with a whale carcass removed from the area.
- Additional caution is recommended by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, as any residue from where the whale carcass was beached may still attract sharks to the area.
- Water users should adhere to beach closures advised by local government rangers and check the SharkSmart Activity Map or the Surf Life Saving Twitter feed before heading to their local beaches.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Horrocks area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers and Shire rangers are monitoring the situation and providing advice to relevant authorities.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.