News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for Guillotines Surf Break north of Cowaramup Bay25 October 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued, due to a report of a shark interaction with a surfer at Guillotines Surf Break approximately three kilometres north of Cowaramup Bay in the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.
- At approximately 9.00am today a male surfer was surfing approximately 80 metres offshore and was bumped from his surf board by a shark, described as a white shark between 2.5 to 3 metres in length.
- The surfer later reported the incident to Water Police, just after 10am.
- Further enquiries with the surfer revealed he has not received any injuries, he left the water shortly after the incident as did other surfers in the proximity.
- The surfers erected a make shift sign to alert other surfers.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Guillotines area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Officers from the Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attraction are attending the area and preparing signage.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.