News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Francois Peron National Park near Monkey Mia10 October 2018
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a whale stranding incident 15 kilometres northwest of Monkey Mia, in the Francois Peron National Park.
- The whale stranding was reported by rangers from the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions at 2:30pm today.
- It is possible the injured animal will act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution until the whale stranding incident is resolved.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Francois Peron National Park area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers, along with staff from Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, are monitoring the situation and providing advice to relevant authorities.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.