News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for Dynamite Bay near Green Head27 February 2021
A shark ADVICE has been issued due to a sea lion carcass being reported at Dynamite Bay in Green Head in the Shire of Coorow.
- The sea lion carcass was reported by Parks and Wildlife Service officers from the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions at 18:14hrs.
- The sea lion carcass is located at CW191 Dynamite Bay BEN sign.
- It is possible the decomposing carcass will act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution until the sea lion carcass is removed.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Dynamite Bay area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed
What authorities are doing:
Fisheries officers from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD), are monitoring the situation and providing advice to relevant authorities.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.