News and Alerts
Shark ADVICE for Clever Buoy City Beach detection trial02 February 2017
Update: 1pm, 3 February 2017
The sytem operators have advised that the Clever Buoy shark detection trial at City Beach is now fully operational again.
- Detections from the Clever Buoy near-shore shark detection trial at City Beach will be offline for scheduled maintenance on the morning of 3 February 2017.
- It is expected that the duration of the outage will be from 6am to Midday.
- During the outage notifications will be paused.
- The remainder of the shark notification system, including the reporting of sightings and tagged shark detections remains fully operational.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Liffe Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What Authorities are doing:
The Department of Fisheries is receiving regular updates from the system operators, who will be working to restore the Clever Buoy trial to full operational status as soon as possible. The operators continue to liaise directly with Surf Life Saving WA and the Department of Fisheries, providing updates when the system is back up and running and will advise when notifications are functioning.
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place. See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.