News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for Circus Beach near Walpole16 December 2015
A shark ADVICE has been issued, due to a whale carcass being reported at Circus Beach near Walpole.
- The whale carcass was reported to the Department of Fisheries today by the Department of Parks and Wildlife.
- It is possible the decomposing carcass will act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast.
- While it’s not uncommon for sharks to be present off the Western Australian coast throughout the year, people should exercise additional caution.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Circus Beach, Walpole area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Parks and Wildlife is monitoring the situation. The carcass is badly decomposed and, due to limited beach access, is unable to be removed from the location.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.