News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Service and maintenance on SMART Drumline array - Limited Deployment21 February 2020
SMART drumlines will not be deployed on Saturday 22 February between Gracetown and Gallows surf break due to maintenance operations being undertaken on the SMART Drumline undersea array.
- Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) will be undertaking maintenance operations within the SMART drumline trial area to allow for servicing of the data recording VR2 receivers.
- SMART drumlines will not be deployed in the northern trial area between Gracetown and Gallows surf break on Saturday 22 February.
- SMART drumlines will remain operational in the southern trial area between Ellensbrook and Gracetown.
What to do:
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD will provide updates as required.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.