News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Possible shark INCIDENT at Cull Island near Esperance05 January 2020
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development are currently investigating a possible shark bite incident at Cull Island in the Shire of Esperance.
- Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development received a report of a possible shark bite incident at 1:12pm on Sunday 5 January 2020.
- DPIRD is working with local authorities and further information will be provided as it becomes available.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Cull Island area, near Esperance and follow any local beach closures.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is working with local authorities to coordinate responses.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.