News and Alerts
Possible shark INCIDENT at Blackwall Reach near Bicton14 January 2021
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) are currently investigating a possible shark bite incident at Blackwall Reach in Bicton.
- DPIRD received a report of a possible shark bite incident at approximately 7:58 am today 14 January 2021.
- DPIRD is working with local authorities and further information will be provided as it becomes available.
What to do:
- Take additional caution in the Bicton area.
- Adhere to beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers, Parks and Wildlife Service officers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Use your Sea Sense and stay informed by checking for shark activity on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to land managers and relevant authorities and to the public on the SharkSmart website, SharkSmart WA app and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
DPIRD Fisheries Officers are being deployed to the area.
DPIRD are working with local authorities to coordinate responses.
Switch on your Sea Sense and stay informed of shark activity information by checking the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity, download the SharkSmart WA app or follow Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA. Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for updates to this alert and to view other warnings and media releases.