News and Alerts
Fatal shark bite incident near Esperance17 April 2017
Department of Fisheries officers are currently involved in assisting WA Police following a fatal shark bite incident at Kelp Beds surf break in Wylie Bay, near Esperance.
- A female surfer received fatal injuries, after being bitten by a shark at approximately 4pm today.
What to do:
- Wylie Bay Beach has been closed by local authorities until further notice.
- Our advice to water users is not undertake surfing, swimming or diving activities in the Wylie Bay area for at least the next 48 hours.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Fisheries will be conducting beach and water patrols in the Wylie Bay area, near Esperance from early tomorrow.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.