Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
Shark Deterrent Rebate
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When will the rebate be available?
The rebate will be available from Friday 26 May 2017.
2. Who is eligible to claim the rebate?
The Shark Deterrent Rebate is available to Western Australian residents. Proof of WA residence must be sighted and recorded by the retailer at the time of purchase. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. There is a limit of one rebate per person for the first 2,000 applicants.
3. What evidence should I provide as proof of WA residence?
Proof of WA residence may include a current:
- Western Australian driver’s licence or learner’s permit.
- Western Australian recreational fishing licence.
- Medicare card in combination with a utility bill e.g. telephone, gas, electricity, water (not more than 3 months old).
- Persons under the age of 18 may also use:
- Student ID card.
- A combination of their parent/guardian driver’s licence and Medicare card (which includes reference to their name).
4. How do I claim the rebate?
Visit a registered retailer to purchase an approved shark deterrent device. If eligible, the $200 rebate will be deducted from the sale price by the retailer. The rebate is limited to the first 2,000 applicants. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
5. Can an individual under the age of 18 apply for the rebate?
Yes. Refer to our Terms and Conditions to review your eligibility.
6. What is an approved personal shark deterrent device?
An approved personal shark deterrent device is one which has been independently tested and approved by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
Initially rebates will be available when purchasing a Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM and additional devices will be added to the scheme once tested and verified.
While no product offers 100% guarantee of protection, water-users are encouraged to take personal responsibility for their actions, including checking all available information before entering the water including Surf Life Saving WA twitter feed (@SLSWA) and the Shark Activity Map.
7. Why is the rebate currently only available for the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM?
The Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM is the only device independently tested and scientifically proven at this point in time. It is recommended that those interested in purchasing the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM, review the specifications carefully to ensure it is suitable for their desired use. More information can be found at www.sharkshield.com. The University of Western Australia published their findings of the Shark Shield FREEDOM 7TM which can be viewed at the Public Library of Science (PLOS)
8. Will other personal shark deterrent products be considered for the rebate in the future?
Yes. Companies who have had their products independently tested and scientifically verified are encouraged to contact the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
9. How long will the rebate be available for?
The trial subsidy, which began on 26 May 2017, was originally for 1,000 devices, but given the popularity of the program, funding was doubled on 26 November 2017 to allow for an additional 1,000 rebates.