Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark INCIDENT for Bald Island, east of Albany30 October 2015
The Department of Fisheries is currently investigating a report of a shark incident at Bald Island, east of Albany.
• A man received injuries by an unknown shark.
• The incident is estimated to have occurred just after midday today.
• The man was believed to have been diving from a boat, and had been spear fishing prior to the incident.
• The man attended Albany Regional Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries and has since been discharged.
What to do:
• Take additional caution in the Bald Island area, east of Albany.
• Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
• If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The Department of Fisheries is currently investigating the report.
At this stage given the lack of information it is not possible to make a determination on the likely size or species of shark involved in the incident.
Department of Fisheries will continue to monitor the situation.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.