Common sense tips here.
Read more about staying safe
Shark hazard mitigation strategies.
Read More about Shark hazard mitigation strategies
News and Alerts
Find the latest advice, warnings, information and news here, to help you stay informed and be SharkSmart.
You can filter the latest information by alert, or media release. Current alerts and warnings are at the top of the page and highlighted.
Visit this page regularly to stay updated with the latest shark information.
Shark ADVICE for SMN receiver 2.5kms off Mullaloo20 December 2016
Update: 3.15pm, 21 December 2016
Fisheries advise that the 2.km off Mullaloo Shark Monitoring Network satellite-linked receiver is back online. The network is now fully operational.
A shark ADVICE has been issued for Western Australian water users due to a partial outage in the shark notification system.
- The Shark Monitoring Network Receiver located 2.5km off Mullaloo is currently out of service.
- The rest of the network is fully operational.
What to do:
- Adhere to any beach closures advised by Local Government Rangers or Surf Life Saving WA.
- Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the SharkSmart website or Surf Life Saving WA’s Twitter feed.
- If you see a shark, report it to Water Police on 9442 8600. All shark sighting information reported to Water Police is provided to response agencies and to the public on the SharkSmart website and Surf Life Saving WA Twitter feed.
What authorities are doing:
The relevant authorities that receive Shark Notification System alerts to assist them in responses have been notified of the outage; including the Surf Life Saving WA, WA Police and relevant local government rangers.
The Department of Fisheries will be working to restore the system to full operational status tomorrow.
Keep informed of the latest detection and sighting information by checking the Shark Activity Map on the SharkSmart website – www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity or the Surf Life Saving WA Twitter – twitter.com/SLSWA.
Check www.sharksmart.com.au/news for current alerts and warnings.
The Shark Notification System forms part of a range of shark hazard mitigation strategies in place.
See www.sharksmart.com.au for additional information.